Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Todays Word

Today's word is Hoi Polloi. And no, it's not pronounced Holy Poly either.

Word of the Day for Wednesday December 15, 2004 hoi polloi \hoi-puh-LOI\, noun: The common people generally; the masses. Hoi polloi is Greek for "the many." Usage: Some argue that the definite article ("the") should not be used in front of "hoi polloi," as hoi means "the" in Greek. However, "the hoi polloi" has been used since the earliest recorded instances of the term in English and is considered correct by most authorities.

It's not like I have lots of reason to use it, but I like saying it. It's another one that rolls off your tongue.

  • Blogroll Me!
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Pennsylvania, Fiji
    My Amazon.com Wish List

    Image hosting by Photobucket

    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

    I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

    Powered by Blogger

    Blogwise - blog directory

    Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com